McAllen Public Utility offers free, appointment only, tours to the public and for school students. Tours are booked on a first-request basis and offered Monday through Friday during daylight hours at our North and Southwest Water Treatment Plants. We also offer tours of the North Wastewater Treatment Plant for professional groups, High School students, and University students on a case-by-case basis.
We can accommodate up to 30 people in each tour group. For grades 3rd through 7th, we require chaperones at a 1:10 ratio. For grades 8 and up, we require chaperones at a 1:15 ratio. Tours last approximately one hour. To sign up, please submit a Tour Request Form at least two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 956-681-1705 for additional options.
McAllen Public Utility offers free presentations to the public and for school students. Presentations can be done during a tour, at a school, or even a community event! Presentations are booked on a first-request basis and offered Monday through Friday.
We can accommodate up to 30 people in each presentation and they last approximately one hour. To sign up, please submit a Presentation Request Form at least two weeks in advance to email@example.com or call 956-681-1705 for additional options.
- W is for Water: Introduce the importance of water for people, animals, and plants. (PK-5th)*
- Willie and the Water Cycle: Meet our mascot Willie and learn about the water cycle. (PK-8th)*
- Water Filtration Challenge: Learn the importance of clean water by designing a filter to clean dirty water. (3rd grade and up)
- STEM Careers: Help us show the next generation the importance of an education by examining the exciting career opportunities found at MPU. (3rd and up)*
- Water Treatment: A look at how McAllen Public Utility treats water. Powerpoint or Virtual Reality Presentation available. (3rd and up)
- Water Quality: Measure the different factors in raw water like pH, temperature, alkalinity, and turbidity to see how pollution can impact our waterways. (6th grade and up)*+
- Aquatic Ecosystems: Identify biotic components of an aquatic ecosystem. (6th grade and up)*+
*TEKS available upon request.
+Presentations can be modified for younger grade levels. May be different presentation with similar topic.